I've taken this survey from Chrissy at The New Me, who took it from Kate at Effing the Ineffable. Chrissy, filling out forms is one of my favorite things to do!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Seriously considered marriage and then got married.
2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't even remember what my resolutions were but I'm sure I didn't keep most of them. This year I'm not making any resolutions but hope to start living healthier...again.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Some distant family members died, all very close together and all right before my wedding.
5. What places did you visit?
I didn't visit many places this year except for the week of my wedding. I took members of our families to the dolphin watch and to Sea Turtle, Inc. It was probably the most fun I had all year!
I also drove to Florida for my amiga's wedding. It was a blast and I came home to a new dog!
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Hmmm...so many things...
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
April 23: my birthday. We had friends and family over to celebrate our graduations, my birthday, the new kitchen counter and kitchen cabinets, John's outstanding thesis award. And John proposed at the end of the night after everyone went home.
November 26: wedding day
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finished paying off my car!
9. What was your biggest failure?
I meant to get fit before my wedding. It didn't happen.
10: Did you suffer illness or injury?
I sure did. I suffered respiratory illness like I do every year. To top it off, I had minor surgery. However minor, it was the most excruciatingly painful experience of my life and had a really long recovery period. I suffered allergic reactions to three different pain meds and couldn't really do much of anything for a long time. I ended up going back to work a few weeks before the doctor said it was okay because I ran out of sick days. Ugh. A few weeks after I could finally sit still, walk, or do anything without being in pain I got really, really sick and had to get a steroid shot right before my wedding so that I would have my voice back in time and wouldn't be dripping with mucus. The steroid shot caused me to gain almost ten pounds in a very, very short period of time!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmmm... I don't really buy much. I guess our honeymoon vacation package, but we won't get to enjoy that until this year.
12. Who's behavior merited celebration?
John. He has really grown up a lot.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Medical bills and the wedding.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Getting married, thinking about a different future - hopefully one far away from Nac!
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
I don't have that kind of memory.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. happier or sadder? Both.
b. thinner or fatter? Definitely fatter. I spent a few months of last year just lying around being sick. It sucked.
c. richer or poorer? Richer, in more ways than one.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercising while I had the chance! Before I knew what was coming!
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With John, just the two of us. For once, no traveling and not being guilted into traveling when we really didn't want to. It was the only relaxing Christmas I've ever had!
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
John and I got really into Parks and Rec. We recently watched every single episode all over again.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate at this time last year?
No. I usually start out with a very strong dislike of people that lasts pretty much forever. That's if I'm disgusted with them to begin with. But it also takes me a long time to get to know people. I don't usually give people the benefit of the doubt right away. I'm a cynic.
24. What was the best book you read?
I read a lot this year. I really liked Ape House by Sara Gruen. It got me started back again on reading natural history texts. And made me interested in learning sign language so that one day I might be able to communicate with an ape.
25. What music did you get excited about?
Eh, I don't really get excited about music. I discovered Wax Tailor via Pandora and have found that I am a fan.
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
a healthy year!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
favorite film? Eh... I don't think we saw many movies this year. The second Sherlock Holmes was pretty good, though.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27 and got engaged.
30. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
having a full-time job elsewhere doing something I love
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
32. What kept you sane?
plenty of sleep
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmm... I don't really get into celebrities these days. But John and I are both big fans of Blaine...
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I get more stirred by people pushing their own political leanings all up in my face. It turns me completely away from politics. People be crazy.
35. Whom did you miss?
I don't miss people much.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I haven't met very new people aside from John's family. Hmmm...I enjoyed meeting John's cousin Chris. I hope they keep up. I think getting closer to Chris would be good for John.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
It's okay to be sick. I've been getting super, super sick every year since I moved to Nacogdoches. This year I finally accepted that I can't help it and it's okay to stop everything to do what I have to to get well.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
The theme for the year was Final Countdown. The Lyric: "It's the final countdown!"